B.A.M.S. or Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery is an undergraduate Ayurvedic course which is awarded after successful completion of a five and a half years program or course that covers the study of integrated system of modern medicine and traditional ayurveda. The full 5½ years duration of the degree includes one year of internship also.
The degree course covers the study of modern anatomy, physiology, principles of medicine, social and preventive medicine, pharmacology, toxicology, forensic medicine, botany, ENT, principles of surgery, etc. along with ayurvedic topics. Ayurvedacharya recognition is given to the recipient of a Bachelor’s Degree of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery (B.A.M.S) and the degree holders can use the title Vaidyar before their name (abbreviated as Vr).
- The basic eligibility criteria for pursuing a B.A.M.S. (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery) degree is qualifying 10+2 or equivalent examination, with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and preferably Sanskrit as subjects studied, along with a reasonably high percentage of marks in aggregate and clearing the different national and state level entrance exams such as:
- All India Premedical/Pre-Dental Entrance Exam (AIPMT) conducted by Central Board of Secondary Examination (CBSE), Delhi on national level.
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER) Entrance Exam.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Entrance Exam.
- Selection to the B.A.M.S. (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery) degree course is based on marks secured in the final merit i.e. total marks aggregated in the final exams of 10+2 and entrance exam.
• Std XII - Sc PCB (Sanskrit)*
• Entrance Test - BAMS Entrance Test**
• Graduation - BAMS***
• Specialization - PG Ayurvedic Medicine****
• Goal - Ayurvedic Doctor
• Std X - Compulsory Subject Sanskrit
• Certificate - Pre Ayurvedic (1-2 years)
• Degree Course - BAMS
• Goal - Ayurvedic Physician