BDS - Bachelor of Dental Surgery is an undergraduate Dentistry Course. This course is of 4-5 years with or without internship. This course is divided into 2 or more semesters. This course can be done either as Full time Graduation course or Part time graduation course, i.e. student can do this course through Correspondence or Distance Education Depending upon their choice. After completing M.B.B.S, BDS enables one to become a Dentist. Dental Courses consists of demonstrations, didactic lectures, clinical work, group discussions and conferences. Dental Anatomy and Oral Histology, Surgical Procedures, Dental Materials, Community Dentistry, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, and Radiology and much more, are some of the subjects that are generally taught. There are different Dental Schools and Colleges that offers Bachelor in Dentistry.
- The student should have completed 10+2 or equivalent exams with Science, Maths, English, Chemistry, and Biology with at least 50% marks from a recognized institution.
- Entrance Examination are organized in major cities all over India. Ads are given, regarding issue of Application forms, Common Entrance Examination and more, in all major newspapers all over India.
- The All India Pre-Dental/Pre-Medical Entrance Exam conducted by the CBSE is common for both M.B.B.S and Bachelor of Dental Sciences (BDS). The institutions are allocated based on merit.
- Apart from the centrally run medical college there is at least one dental college in most states, where admission is done by domiciliary status. But for the eligibility of practice, the student must ensure that the course selected is approved by the Dental Council of India.
- After completion of this course, the student can work as Dentist in Private and Government Hospitals or open up their own Dental Clinic to serve the society.
- Besides service to humanity, career in the field of dental science is one of the most profitable options in present time.
- B.D.S course makes a Dentist socially acceptable and is able to work effectively and safely on patients in prevention and treatment, diagnosis of dental and oral disease.